The Hood River Hotel dates back to the year 1911. The building was originally constructed as an Annex to the the Mt. Hood Hotel, Hood River’s first hotel, built in 1881 at the same time the town was founded.
The Mt. Hood Hotel sat strategically adjacent to the railroad depot, the main means of transportation in the late 1800’s. The hotel was a central social gathering place for visitors and townspeople alike, and many a business deal was contracted around the fireplace in the beautiful lobby.
As Hood River became known throughout the country for its successful fruit industry and scenic beauty, the Mt. Hood Hotel expanded and created the Annex. The building housed four commercial stores, apartments for Hood River’s workers, and more modern guest rooms.
In 1926, the main lobby was moved from the original hotel to the Annex. The new lobby opened on the same day as the dedication of the newly completed Mt. Hood Loop Highway, symbolizing the transition from a railroad dependent community to an automobile oriented town. After the lobby was moved, the original hotel closed its doors to tourists and was demolished in the 1930’s. The Mt. Hood Hotel Annex simply became The Mt. Hood Hotel.
The hotel remained in operation until the 1960s when it closed to tourists. The building deteriorated in the 1970s and 1980s until new owners restored the building (1988-89) to its original use as a tourist hotel – The Hood River Hotel.